Welcome!

I hope that you all enjoy my adventures through Ecuador and the Peace Corps. It is a road with so many unexpected turns, but it is what keeps it exciting. Know that I am sending all my love back home!
Always,
Paige

Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Visit to an Elementary School!

"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps"

Every color of the rainbow, laughter in the air, fĂștbol during recess, smiling faces, repeating, songs, hands-on activities, and so much more. What am I describing? If you haven't already guessed I am describing a school. No matter where you are in the world I have learned that these are some fundamental details that are always the same. These are some of the details that make me smile because I know I can expect them, they are familiar, they are reliable.
This Wednesday I walked into a small elementary school in Ecuador located near our training school and immediately felt happy. Why is it that children make me smile so much? Why is it that I felt a sense of home when I am surrounded by kids? No matter what the reason may be it was a wonderful feeling to have here in Ecuador where so much is unknown. Here at this school I felt content.

We were here at this elementary school with a purpose. We were here to teach a lesson in regards to the Media Ambiente (Environment). Now for me this isn't scary or stressful. Shelburne Farms has given me that. I love teaching about the environment and I have many tricks up my sleeve that I must give credit to the farm for. My group decided that we would teach our class about water. It is something that can be simple or complex depending on the details you wish to portray. We had 6-8 year old kids so as you can imagine we kept it simple. We started with a name game, asking them to act out there favorite animal. What was mine....a lobo of course (WOLF). After we went back into the classroom to talk about why water is important to them and how they use it. I love listening to what they come up with. After we talked about where you can find water and had them draw these places. Nothing makes me happier then watching children be creative; concentrating so hard on the task placed before them. After it was time to talk about the three forms of water and sing a song to remember evaporation, condensation, and precipitation. Then the fun part. Get them outside.

Where does our water go activity!
We did an activity that I have done many a times at the ECHO Aquarium and Science Center in beautiful Vermont. We began with crumpling up paper and throwing it on the ground. Next we covered these papers with plastic to create mountains and valleys. We then predicted where the water from the rain would go. Where would it pool? Where would the rivers be? Next comes the fun part. Sprinkling water and watching where it goes. After we talked about this we introduced sprinkles; by far there favorite part. They sprinkle them over the mountains and then we predict what will happen when it rains again. If these sprinkles represent pollution what happens when it rains? My kids were wonderful and really got it. They understood that pollution can travel through our water and contaminate it. We ended with another song and said our good-byes, but not until I was given several of their drawings and many hugs.
Now the one thing I have not mentioned yet is that this whole lesson was given in Spanish! It made it much more challenging and for the first time in a while made me extremely nervous. What if they don't understand me? What if this fails? However, what I forgot is that kids are kids. Now matter where you are in the world never forget that they have no idea what you want to say to them or what you want to teach them. They only know that you are there to be with them. You are there to teach them and help them learn. Did I say everything perfectly, did I get every point across that I wanted to? No. However, when I walked away that day I knew that they had had fun and knew that water was important in one way or another. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Futbol with los ninos!

My kiddos drawing where they can find water and how they use it!
I walked away from the school filled with adrenaline. I walked away filled with confidence. My language might not be perfect, but I love to teach and I love kids. I have passion to get their hands dirty and learn how beautiful Mother Nature truly is, and for now that is enough. The rest will come with time and practice.

Love from Ecuador!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic day! I know the kids had a blast and actually learned something. Do they have separate grades there or are all of the kids in pretty much a one room building where the teacher breaks the different ages into groups to study and learn?

    love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so happy and in your element!! How fortunate for them to have you as their teacher and how wonderful for you to experience such confidence, success and most importantly, happiness!! Can't wait to hear about your adventures in the mountains!!
    Love and hugs...
    Mama xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way...LOVE THE PICTURES!! It's great to see where you are and what you are doing!! Great job with the blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Paigie! I'm so glad you're having a great time, and keep up with the posting! All of us who adore you here in the US love getting these little glimpses into your life!

    ReplyDelete